In 1958 a number of like-minded enthusiasts combined their talents and the Northern Suburbs Bridge Club was formed. The first session was held on 6 November 1958 with 7 tables. Members met regularly and competed in rented premises until 1992 when the existing Club House was built at 116 Gerler Road, Hendra.
The first competition run at the Club started in 1967 and was later called the Hoffmann Tray. It was a Wednesday evening pairs event conducted over three sessions, and is still run each year. The inaugural winners were Arthur Hoffmann (the then President) and Harry Sarafov (the 13th President and until recently a member).
Some other milestones:
As of March 31, 2022, NSBC had approximately 600 home and away members with sessions running six days per week. The Club caters for all levels of bridge player - from beginner to advanced and provides "beginner lessons" twice a year.
Special thanks must go to the voluntary efforts of members who assist with the smooth running of the club. No job is too big or too small and it all combines to make visits to NSBC pleasant and memorable. Our volunteers give their time willingly and help out with dealing, directing, operating Bridgemates, management committee, food and refreshment supplies, managing Master Points, and other club housekeeping. If you would like to join our friendly team of volunteers, please email the Club Secretary or talk to a member of the Management Committee.
A number of books and DVDs are available for members' use. Please see the Librarian or a Committee member to borrow a book. Topics include Defence (including opening leads), Declarer Play, Bidding, Bridge Stories, and Learn to Play.